Monday, April 13, 2009

unplugged

Ok. Confession time. I like information. No, I love it. Crave it. I spend so much time on the computer, listening to NPR, watching the news, listening to music, and on and on and on. Really there are very few hours of the day where I am not plugged in to some form of electronic media and to be perfectly honest it is usually multiple forms at the same time. In fact, it is really just when I am asleep and walking from one thing to the next that I am 'unplugged'. Then again, if the walk is longer than five minutes I usually have my headphones in. There is just so much out there. There is always more to know, to experience. But, every now and then, I get overwhelmed and totally shut it all down. I stay home, turn on nothing aside from lights, and sit or read books I've read before. I don't answer the phone or read emails. I cut myself off completely. It is a very interesting feeling. Very peaceful. I lose track of time and because I live alone, speak to no one. I did this over the weekend and now that I am getting back into life I am shocked at how much I missed in just a short span of time. I have tons of email and about 40 blog posts in my reader queue not to mention all the shows in my hulu queue. Sigh. I guess it is time to catch up and dive in. The pool of information awaits.

No comments: