Friday, September 19, 2008

I make about as much sense as a ferret.

I have a problem. I have all these ideas and experiences I want to share but they are completely unrelated to each other and none of them is really long enough for a blog post. So, if you want some insight into what I find interesting or at least noteworthy when it comes to chronicling my existence, read on.

If any of you have lived in or been to Boston you have probably noticed a sign that looks like this. Ever since my family moved there I have found these signs intriguing and have often wondered who coined the phrase. On my last trip to Boston over Labor Day weekend I
promised myself that I would take a picture of one of these signs because every time I see one it makes me smile ... ah, the little things. Unfortunately I did not keep that promise (I nearly asked my mom to turn around and find me a thickly settled sign when we were half way to the airport but I decided that the picture was not worth a missed flight). This is why when I saw this sign at the end of someones driveway mere blocks from my apartment in Ann Arbor I slammed on the breaks, got out and took a picture. Ok, you're right, I didn't. I went back a few days later and got the shot but the other way makes for a better story. I don't think that this is a sign that is maintained by the city of Ann Arbor mostly because it isn't the right height and it is right next to someones mailbox which means that this family probably stole it from somewhere in Boston presumably because they enjoy the phrasing as much as I do. I've thought about taking one too but when it comes right down to it I don't think I'd be able to get it past the watchful eye of the TSA.

Fall in Ann Arbor comes early. Or maybe I haven't come to grips with the fact that it is mid-September. My bet's on the latter and yours should be too. Anyway. While walking to class bright and early Monday morning I noticed that the sidewalk I was walking on was covered in fallen fall foliage. And I thought, "what kind of tree drops its leaves in the summer?". I know ... the kind that knows its FALL. 

Yesterday while I was waiting at the bus stop an old Buick drove by at about five mph with its windows down and some sweet jazz music blasting from its stereo. The 85 year old man inside gave me a full face wink. It made me feel pretty good about myself.

Last week I went to hear Vicente Fox speak. He spoke on globalization, immigration and NAFTA but didn't express any of his more "radical" views. To be quite honest it was a bit on the boring side. The most interesting part of the night was when he opened it up for questions and someone asked if he had an RFID tag inserted in his arm so that the government could keep track of him at all times. The audience laughed at the man asking the question (he sounded like a crazy big brother is out to get you and aliens may abduct you at anytime kind of guy) but then Presidente Fox took the question and turned it into a commentary on the kidnappings and the war Presidente Calderon is waging against the cartels and what Americans could do to help. I was impressed with his kindness and care for this man and the skill with which he turned an awkward moment into an opportunity to teach. I hope that I am able to develop that skill as I grow as a leader.

No comments: