Saturday, January 17, 2009

Treat yourself right


Sometimes life gets away from me. I get so wrapped up in the day to day things that I have to get done (mainly schoolwork) that I neglect myself and the things that make me happy. Last night I took a step back and did somethings that I don't usually get around to. I stopped at Wholefoods on my way home from school to get some top quality ingredients for dinner. By the way... I don't think that I've been to the grocery store all month and I certainly haven't made dinner since winter break. Do you see what I mean about not doing things for myself? Anyway. I am a huge fan of the food network and all the time I have spent watching other people cook has given me the confidence to just sort of throw things together that sound good. Last night it was bow tie pasta with pancetta, salmon, artichokes and fresh parsley not to mention some really good bread. Whenever I do take the time to cook I remember how much I love cooking. It is a deep love that probably won't end until I have kids that hate everything I cook and that will ruin cooking for me but then again maybe I'll get lucky. 

While at Wholefoods I also picked up some tulips. I love flowers. Back in Evanston I was a frequent customer at the farmers' market where I would get flowers for myself nearly every week throughout the summer. It was a simple indulgence but one that brought me joy every week. Last night I put the tulips on my bedside table and when I woke up this morning they were the first thing I saw. There really is no better way to start the day that by looking at something beautiful. 

So friends, get out there and do something that makes you happy.

No comments: