Friday, February 27, 2009

Culturefication

I’m a little slow in posting this but, you see, there really hasn’t been time. So, dear readers, I ask that you rewind your brains to Valentine’s day weekend and the days leading up to it. For all of the MBAs here at the RSB this meant that finals were fast approaching, we were getting several emails a day congratulating the new leadership of clubs that we are not members of and getting stir crazy – ready to get out of Ann Arbor and hopefully to somewhere warm and sunny. I went to New Jersey – something I will tell you about in another post. Along with all of the generic goings on I also had the opportunity to attend two concerts in the Hill Auditorium with some of my sectionmates. First up was a group called Sweet Honey in the Rock. While they are very good musicians and I found their music uplifting and inspiring, I found them to be overly political for my taste. I mean, I’m jazzed that Obama is the president but I don’t feel the need to turn every conversation into an opportunity to sing his praises. Next up was Kodo, the Japanese drumming group. Going into this concert I have to admit that I was less than excited. I don’t really like loud sounds. I think that this has something to do with the number of ear infections I had as a child, my ability to actually feel my eardrums moving (or at least I think I can… I wonder if I am alone in this sensation or if other people feel it too) and my paranoia that they are going to burst again. Something that most people don’t know about me is that I am hyper vigilant about my ear health. Now that I got that off my chest, back to Kodo. The concert was the day before valentine’s day and clearly prime date night. The problem? I went with a classmate of mine who is engaged. We’re friends and all but it was a little awkward especially because we ran into several people we know. We also just met in our seats and parted ways right after the concert. In that way it was like sitting next to a stranger except we aren’t strangers. Aside from the awkwardness and the loud noises I have to say I LOVED IT and I would totally go again. The drummers were amazing and the music was moving, soothing and exciting all at the same time. If you have the opportunity to see them I highly ask that you seize it.

Aside to Hill Auditorium: Only people that are 5’2” could possibly fit in those chairs. Do us all a favor – remodel and get yourself some legroom.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Sounds like those seats were made especially for me ;)
Love you, miss you!