Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spring Break

At the beginning of February I indulged myself in fantasies of secluded Mexican beaches, trips to Hawaii, the possibility of South America, and adventures in Spain and then I got the call that I had been selected for final round interviews at BASF in Florham Park, NJ. Those dreams faded and were replaced with the reality of spending at least some of my spring break in New Jersey being interviewed for a summer internship position. I readjusted my plans and decided to stay in the region and visit friends and family that I don't get to see as often as I would like as well as cities that I love and have not visited in years. 

After my interviews I met up with my mom in NYC. We spent a few days together going to restaurants, the ballet, shopping and MOMA (the picture at the left is Joan Miro's The Birth of the World... I like it). 
We were also able to meet up with Maria for lunch at a tasty noodle bar. 

On Thursday I boarded a train to DC and I have to say, I quite enjoy traveling by train. The seats are more comfortable, there's more space in the overhead compartment so you don't have to shove all your stuff in there, there's lots to look at during the trip and phone conversations that should really be held in private to eavesdrop on. You see what I mean? Quite enjoyable.

In DC I got to spend time with my sisters. The one thing I really wanted to do while there was visit the Newseum. As I think I may have mentioned before, I LOVE the news. Just love it. I've wanted to go to the Newseum since it opened. 
They have a section of the Berlin wall there as well as the antenna from the top of the world trade center not to mention endless exhibits on, well, news and the journalists that make it all happen. Abi and I spent several hours there and could have spent much much more time looking at everything. I nearly bought a "news junkie" t-shirt. It felt appropriate but I really never wear t-shirts so I didn't buy it. After the Newseum we went to Curry Fest 2009 and all I have to say is tasty. I really like curry. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a curry I didn't like.

Now I am back in Ann Arbor getting my apartment in order after a very busy term and taking advantage of a few days of down time to get caught up on several things I let go by the wayside over the past couple of months. Soon I'll be heading off on my next great adventure, the Multidisciplinary Action Project. Very exciting stuff.  

No comments: