Sunday, June 7, 2009

What some might call work


The internship has begun. I spent the last week driving around the state of Rhode Island touring historic house museums, meeting with Executive Directors, Boards, scholars and volunteers and I have to admit that I just don't get it. I also don't think that I can adequately describe what it is that I don't get but I have come to the conclusion that we are a nation of hoarders. I'm not sure that this is healthy. Maybe group therapy is needed. I should call Oprah ... this seems to be right up her alley. While I freely admit that I have too much stuff, my accumulation has more to do with laziness than emotional attachment. In fact, you could take it all (with the exception of my couch) and I wouldn't miss a beat. The whole time I was driving home to survey the damage after the Fall Break Fire all I could think was "please, anything but the couch." I really love my couch. But that is beside the point. The people I have surrounded myself with for the summer abhor the idea that any building anywhere would ever be torn down regardless of whether or not said building is of architectural or historical significance. I love modern architecture and converted spaces. Give me steel, glass and concrete! Give me a warehouse that has been sitting empty for decades and convert it into useful space! But please, please, please don't "save" another building only to turn it into a historic house museum that is only open to the public for six hours a week or by appointment. Buildings were meant to be used. I guess what it boils down to is that I am a creator not a saver.

On the upside, this is my office. 
This is going to be an interesting summer.

No comments: