Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Eve


As many of you know, in a few short weeks I will be leaving the ever fabulous city of Chicago for a new adventure in Boston. Due to my impending departure I have decided to relish everything I love most about summer in this amazing city and yesterday was packed with some serious highlights.

Walker Brother's Pancake House

I love this place. I remember coming here as a kid and in the three years that I have been living in Evanston I have taken full advantage of having some of the best pancakes in the world right up the street. This is one of my favorites ... the Dutch Baby. Yum Yum!















Wandering around the loop

After pancakes I went downtown and went to some of my favorite places.


This is my all time favorite local news station, ABC 7 Chicago. I'm a bit of a news junkie. In fact, it borders on obsession. I happen to go to the same gym as one of the anchors and whenever I see her on the treadmill I get on the one next to her but I have yet to talk to her because there is a tiny part of me that thinks that might be creepy. Seriously though, seeing the set where the magic happens sends tingles down my spine.






















Next up was a trip to the old Marshall Fields State Street store with it's famous clock and amazing interior. What other department store has a ceiling like this? I love the sheer size of this store! It is a full city block and who knows how many floors high. I have literally gotten lost inside.

Under the category of amazing ceilings, the restoration of the Tiffany dome in the Chicago Cultural Center is finished! For those of you living in Chicago this is a must see. Truly awe inspiring.

The Taste of Chicago

In a city that loves it's food as much a Chicago does it only makes sense that there would be a ten day festival dedicated to food. Where else can you eat Italian beef, hot dogs, Chicago style pizza, pad thai, watermelon, empanadas, steak tacos, turkey legs as big as your head and so much more all in one day.



These are some of the tastiest tastes. Steak tacos and the most flavorful watermelon I've had this season.

Concert and Fireworks

After the Taste I made my way over to the Petrillo Music Shell to pick out a good spot for the evening concert and fireworks display. Some friends joined me and we settled in for the show.



The fireworks were amazing. These are my favorites.


There is something about sharing something so impressive with 1.5 million people that immediately brings people closer together.


Then again, maybe that closeness is spawned during the rush to the El after the event.

No comments: